The District at SkyCity
SkyCity Adelaide today announced a key pillar of its $330 million transformation, The District at SkyCity. In a historic partnership with Pirate Life, The District at SkyCity will feature Australia’s first fully functional microbrewery within a casino.
SkyCity Adelaide General Manager, David Christian, said: "The District at SkyCity, featuring the dynamic Pirate Life team, is the final piece of the puzzle at SkyCity Adelaide; creating a vibrant live entertainment space on Level 1 in the current heritage building.
"During the recent closure of the Adelaide Casino, construction projects were able to continue on the expansion and hotel site, as well as within our beautiful heritage building, where The District at SkyCity will come to life on Level 1 later this year."
Pirate Life was founded in Adelaide in 2014 by Michael Cameron, Jack Cameron and Jared Proudfoot. The immediate success of the business attracted the attention of leading brewers CUB, with Pirate Life joining the CUB family in November 2017, before expanding into a new brewhouse in Port Adelaide last year.
Pirate Life co-founder, Michael Cameron, said: "When we arrived in Adelaide, a big part of our ambition was to create a brewery that resonated with South Australians.
"After establishing Pirate Life in Hindmarsh, followed by the move and expansion in Port Adelaide, the ability to partner with The District at SkyCity as part of their transformation is another fantastic step on the journey. We look forward to sharing the Pirate Life experience with more South Australians, as well as tourists visiting the state."
The District at SkyCity will feature a mezzanine level, allowing increased capacity for live entertainment, where customers can enjoy Pirate Life beers tailor made for The District at SkyCity.
The District at SkyCity brings together all venues on Level 1; live entertainment, the Pirate Life microbrewery, the Sports Bar, Poker Zone and Bistro, in one unique offering.
Other significant transformation works recently undertaken in the heritage building include:
- Repainting Marble Hall for the first time since the Adelaide Casino opened in 1985
- Laying 5,000 square metres of new carpet
- Chandelier Bar restoration, including the removal of 2,000 individual baubles, sand blasting with fine dust and reinstallation
- Restoration of heritage features and installation of lighting features in Marble Hall
- Refurbishment and extension of the Baccarat Pavilion
- Construction of Central Café on Ground Floor (to open in the coming weeks)
The District at SkyCity has been designed by South Australian design firm Studio Nine Architects. The design of the broader gaming and lounge spaces on Level 1 is by Buchan Group. Construction work is being undertaken by SHAPE.
*Attached image L-R, Pirate Life Co-Founders Jack Cameron, Michael Cameron and Jared Proudfoot with SkyCity Adelaide General Manager David Christian
The District at SkyCity
- Opening in 2020
- Fully functional Pirate Life microbrewery
- Increased Level 1 capacity for live entertainment, the Sports Bar, Poker Zone and Bistro
- Architecture and interiors designed by South Australia’s Studio Nine Architects
- Lighting design by Glowing Structures
- Construction by SHAPE
SkyCity Heritage building (including The District at SkyCity)
- The Guardsman bar and restaurant in the Railway Station opened in January 2020, including a complete restoration of the former Overland Dining Hall
- The Guardsman architecture by Studio Gram
- Ground floor gaming area (refurbishment and extension of the Baccarat Pavilion, cashier and northern gaming zone) upgrades by Webb+ architects
- Central Café on ground floor by Webb+ architects
- Level 1 gaming architecture by Buchan Group
- Level 2 office interior architecture by Walter Brooke
- Heritage consultancy by DASH Architects
- Marble Hall lighting consultation by Light in Design
- Construction by SHAPE
- Three storey glass atrium to connect the heritage and expansion buildings
- Set to open in late 2020
- 12 storey building
- Eos by SkyCity, 120 room luxury hotel
- Four new restaurants and two new bars, including a rooftop bar and restaurant
- SkyCity Ballroom, a world class function and conference facility for up to 650 guests
- Southwest Suite, with a capacity of up to 80 guests for small to medium sized functions
- Three Executive Boardrooms for private events and meetings
- Construction by Hansen Yuncken
- Design by Buchan Group
- Interiors by Hecker Guthrie and Walter Brooke
- Approximately 1,000 jobs throughout construction
- Approximately 700 ongoing roles created, recruitment for some roles has already commenced and will continue through to mid 2021
Back to Media Centre